DIY

How I Upgraded a Dresser with what I had on Hand at Home

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. THAT MEANS I MAY BE COMPENSATED (AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU) IF YOU CLICK A LINK AND MAKE A PURCHASE. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY.

This dresser has been sitting in my garage for nearly 4 years! We were going to use it to store things in the garage. However, we needed another dresser in our bedroom. So, I decided to fix it up!

I was determined not to spend any money out of pocket and only use what he had at home. I did have to buy a few things because we had two projects going at once. More on that in the future!

It was looking rough! My husband thought I was insane wanting to fix this dresser up. It had been in his household since he was a boy! He started sanding the top before I could a picture!

First, I took off the knobs and soaked them in a solution of dawn dish soap and vinegar in a disposable foil baking tin that I had laying around.

Next, we started sanding. I didn’t sand the entire piece, but I did sand the top and the drawers to get the stickers off. This didn’t take too long, we had this orbital sander. It made that entire process go extremely fast! We did end up needing more sand paper which we picked up when we were grocery shopping.

Then, I cleaned the entire piece with some Mr. Clean with Gain and gave it a few minutes to dry.

Next, I started painting. This took about 3 coats. It probably would have only taken 2 but my kids threw a tennis ball and it hit three drawers!

We left it to dry overnight before we started staining the top.

The next morning we found a few spots that needed touched up so we threw on another coat. Then started staining the top.

While my husband was finishing up the top, my son took some sand paper to scuff up the drawer pulls. When my husband was finished, he started spray painting the drawer pulls black. This process took a few days. It started raining and the pulls were not drying very fast. Then when we flipped them to paint the bottom half, they stuck to the ground and needed touched up. They finally dried and we were able to put on the clear coat!

While were in the long drawn out process of the drawer pulls, we put on a couple coats of polyurethane on the top of the dresser.

When everything was dry. My husband did a final inspection and touched up a few spots. While he was doing this, I brought the finished drawers in and applied contact paper from dollar tree to the bottom all the drawers.

This process took a little trial and error! Luckily, I had a great helper!

My husband added the drawer pulls.

FINALLY!

We noticed there is a wrapped board and we plan to replace that soon! Overall, I love the way it turned out!

Now we need to paint the walls!

Be sure to follow us on Instagram to get all the hottest deals

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *